Topics is where you can connect and collaborate with people on a shared interest. These topic areas provide a place for people to share knowledge, ask questions, collaborate, and access resources about a specific area of focus. Once in a topic, you will be connected to a diverse range of people interested in that subject around the world. You can join an existing topic of discussion or set up your own.
In this guide, we will take you through how to find a Topic, how to set one up, and how to manage it.
So, for starters, how do you join a Topic?
Finding Topics you are interested in
Once you log into Landcarer look for the ‘Topics’ button at the top of the page.
By hovering over this button you will get a couple of different options to select.
- Click on ‘All Topics’ to see the vast range of subject matter on Landcarer
- Click on ‘My Topics’ to view the topic areas you have joined
- Click on ‘Connection’s Topics’ to view the topics that people you are connected with on Landcarer on joined
Then simply click join on whatever topics interest you! Whether that be Landcare Farming, Bushfire Recovery, or Permaculture, join and get talking to people who share that interest!
If you can’t find the topic you are looking for, try searching for it in the search bar at the top of the page.
Still can’t find it? Sounds like it might be time for you to start one!
Starting a Topic
To start a topic, click on the big green ‘Create Topic’ button that sits on the right side of the page in the topics section.
You can select the category that best suits your topic if you’d like. If the exact category isn’t there, you can select ‘other’. You’ll then need to select the privacy level of your topic and add your topic name to get started. There is more information on the different privacy levels in the ‘managing your topic’ section.
To add a profile photo and cover photo to your topic, you can click on the camera icon in the top left of the spaces where these photos will appear. The profile photo is the small, circular photo. The cover photo is the rectangular banner image on the top of the page. The profile photo area measures 200×300 pixels, and most logos should fit there. The dimensions for the cover photo are 1168×400. You should be able to position your photo when you upload it to avoid it being cropped in the wrong place.
Managing you topic
Once your topic is set up, you can edit the information, privacy settings, and details. To manage your topic, click on the settings wheel on the right side of your topic’s home page to reveal a dropdown menu. Click on ‘Manage’ to access this section, where you can edit the following:
- Details: Here you can edit the name of your topic.
- Info: Here you can write a description of your topic. The description you write will appear in the info panel on the left side of your topic’s home page.
- Permissions: This section is really important as it relates to privacy. In this section you can set the level of privacy for your topic by choosing out of the three options.
- Public: Anyone can see the topic, who its members are, and their posts.
- Closed: Anyone can see the topic in the ‘All Topics’ listings page, and see who the members are. Only members, however, can see what is posted in the topic.
- Secret: People won’t be able to see the topic listed in the ‘All Topics’ page. Only members will be able to see this topic, access it, and see the content posted within it.
- You can also choose whether your topic members or admins can view and interact with information posted in your topic, including photos, stories, discussions, and documents. It is important to set these permissions as you’d like them, but it is also easy to edit them later.
- Invite: Invite people to join your topic through this sections, either by searching for them on Landcarer, or inserting their email addresses and clicking on the green button to send invitations. Please let people know that emails may go into their junk folder, so to search there if they don’t see an invitation from you.
- URl: This allows you to create a specific website address/URL for your topic. If you decide not to choose a URL, you can use the default URL generated by the platform. Your URL will begin with https://www.landcarer.com.au/ and you will choose what comes after that. You need to write your topic name or whatever you would like your URL to be in the box and click ‘Check URL’. You will get a message pop-up to say whether the URL is available or not.
- Admins: You can appoint admins in this section, by searching for who you would like to appoint an admin, select them, and click to update. They will be notified that they have been made an admin. Please note that they will need to be registered on Landcarer to be appointed an admin.
What to do once your topic is up and running
Once your topic has been set up and you