The Groups section of Landcarer is where you’ll find groups involved in Landcare, Bushcare, Coastcare, or any of the ‘cares’. Any group or organisation involved in caring for our natural environment can join and set up their own page.
The Groups section of Landcarer allows you to connect with these groups and your own members in an online space made just for you. By setting up your group on Landcarer you can manage you memberships, coordinate your members, share information and so, so much more.
In this guide you’ll get an overview of how to search for a group, set up a group, and manage a group.
Setting up a group
Once you log into Landcarer go to ‘Groups’ on the top menu.
There, you will see a dropdown menu of the following items:
- All groups: By clicking on this you will see a list of all groups on Landcarer. You can also search for a group using a keyword or a location.
- My groups: This is a list of any groups you have set up.
- Liked groups: This is where you click to see all the groups you have liked.
- Connections groups: This is a list of groups that people you’re connected to on Landcarer have set up.
You can also filter by what kind of group you are looking for. Are they a ‘Friends of’, a network, or an indigenous group? If so, then click that on the search filters on the left hand side to refine your search
To create a group click on the big green ‘Add Group’ button that sits on the right side of the page in the groups section.
You will then need to select the category your group best fits under. If the exact category isn’t there, you can select other. You’ll then need to add your group name to create your group, and get started.
You will then be taken to a settings page where you can edit details about your group, admins, contacts and much more.
To add a profile photo and cover photo to your group, you can click on the camera icon in the top left of the spaces where these photos will appear. The profile photo is the small, circular photo, and the cover photo is the rectangular banner image on the top of the page. The profile photo area measures 300 x 300 pixels, and most group logos would fit there. The dimensions for the cover photo are 1168 x 400 pixels. You should be able to position your photo when you upload it to avoid it being cropped in the wrong place. If you are struggling to size the photos, we can help! Just get into contact.
Managing your group
Once your group is set up, you can start editing the information, privacy settings, and group details. To manage your group, click on the three dots on the right side of your group’s home page to reveal a dropdown menu. Click on ‘Manage’ to access this section, where you can edit the following:
- Details: Here you can add and edit information relating to your group and its activities, including location, contact details, and category. You have two choices as to the kind of ‘membership’ you would like for your group. If you select ‘follow’, anyone registered on Landcare can follow your group and see your updates. If you select ‘join’, people can ask to join your group and you will need to approve their request.
- Info: This shows you the statistics on your group page and how people on Landcarer have been interacting with it. It also allows you to add an announcement, which will appear on your group home page.
- Permissions: This section is really important as it relates to privacy. In this section you can decide what areas of your group people can view and interact with. You can choose whether anyone on Landcarer, just members of your group or people following you group, or just admins of your group can view information such as photos, polls, discussions, etc. You can also specify who can share stories, videos, photos, etc. It’s important to set these permissions as you’d like them when you set up your group. It’s easy to edit them later.
- Invite: Invite people to join your group through this section, either by searching for them on Landcarer or inserting their email addresses, and clicking on the green button to ‘Send invitations’. Please let people know that emails may go into their junk folder, so to search there if they don’t see an invitation from you.
- URL: This allows you to create a specific website address/URL for your group by typing what you like into the box. Otherwise, you can use the default URL created by the platform. Your URL will begin with https://www.landcarer.com.au/, and you have the option to choose what comes after that, e.g. https://www.landcarer.com.au/ You need to type your group name or whatever you would like your URL to be in the box, and click to ‘check url’. You’ll get a message pop-up to say whether your URL is available or not.
- Admins: You can appoint admins in this section, by searching for who you would like to appoint an admin, select them, and click to update. They will be notified that they have been made an admin. They will need to be registered on Landcarer as an individual to be appointed an admin.
Once your group has been set up and you’ve invited your members, you can start making use of the features available to you. This section gives an overview of each of the features you will see in the menu across the bottom of your group’s cover photo. In each section there is a green circle with a plus sign on the right side of the page, and you can get started in each section by clicking this. Also remember that you can select who can view or interact with anything you create in the ‘permissions’ section mentioned above in ‘managing your group’.
- Home: This simply brings you to your group’s homepage
- Info: Whatever you type here will display in the info panel on the left of your group’s homepage.
- Members: Here you will see a list of members, and which members are admins of the group
- Membership: This is where you can list what membership options you have, and people can pay for their memberships. To get a full guide on how to manage your group membership through Landcarer, please click here, where you can access a video or PDF guide.
- Elearning: You can create courses here for your group. You can create a text-based course, upload PDFs, videos or photos. Click the green circle with the plus sign on it in the eLearning section to add a course.
- Events: Use this section to add your event. Include the description, title, photos, date and time, location, and invite guests to RSVP to your listing.
- Discussions: You can start discussions here for members or admins of your group. You post what you’d like to discuss and people can post replied in the discussion thread. You can manage your notifications in your account settings to specify whether you want to receive emails when someone replies to your discussion. You can also close the thread when you don’t want to accept any more replies.
- Audio: If there are any audio tracks you’d like to share with your group, you can post them here. Maybe you have bird or frog calls, an interview with someone, or a song! You can sort your tracks into albums. The file size limit for one track is 30 Mb.
- Photos: Add your groups’ photos here. You can create albums to file them according to date, topic or project.
- Polls: If your group needs to make a decision and you’d like to give members the opportunity to vote, you can set up a poll. Ask a question and set your multiple choice answers. You can allow people to vote for one or more options.
- Quizzes: You could set up a fun quiz about your group, or a quiz for new members. This feature is similar to polls, but with the ability to have multiple questions.
- Videos: You can add video files to this section in the same way you add photos or audio files.
- Stories: This is a great place to share your groups’ wins and successes. You can write stories, and add photos to them. You can then share them with other Landcarer users or on your social media profiles. It’s just like your group’s very own blog!
That pretty much covers it! These are the main aspects of setting up, managing and running a group on Landcarer.