Tips on setting up and managing a group
If you’re looking for one online platform for your group, you’re in the right place! Manage your membership renewals, share stories and updates, and set up events all in one place. Here are a few tips on how to get started!
- Kick things off by setting up your group
Log into Landcarer and hover over the Connect tab to see the dropdown menu. Select ‘Community Groups’ and choose to ‘Add your Group’. You can then follow the prompts to ‘Create a Community Group’, and add your information, including:
- A description of your group. Include where you are located and the type of work you do. Think about what else would be of interest to the Landcarer community, like why your group was established, any significant achievements, who your members are…
- Contact information so people can get in touch with you. You can also include ‘visiting hours’ if you have an office or a regular meeting time. If you don’t want to include this you can check the box to disable ‘visiting hours’ from being displayed.
- Add a logo or image to illustrate your group listing in the Community Group directory. Once you’ve set up your group you can also post photos of your work in the ‘activities’ tab.
- Set the privacy level of the information your group posts by using the dropdown menu regarding ‘Community Group Privacy.’
- Invite your members
Now you can invite your members to join. There are a few different ways of doing this.
- You can copy the link to the group listing and email it to your existing members. They can join by signing up to Landcarer, visiting the group page and clicking on ‘I’m a member.’
- You can also invite members through Landcarer by going into your group’s main page and clicking on the three dots beside the ‘Get Updates’ button. This will reveal a dropdown menu, and you can select ‘Invite member’ at the bottom of that menu. You’ll then be able to select people who are already registered on Landcarer to invite.
- People who may not be a member of your group but would like to keep up to date with your activities can subscribe to your group updates by selecting to ‘Get Updates’ on your group’s home page.
- Select admins and other roles
You will be able to select people to be admins of the group, as well as selecting other positions for people in the ‘manage your group’ section. On your group’s main page click on the settings wheel icon that sits to the right of your group name. Click on ‘Manage Community Group’, and this will open your general information page with a menu of options on the left side of the page.
- ‘Manage Member Roles’ allows you to add more roles than the default options.
- ‘Member Role Settings’ shows you what each role can do, and allows you to edit these permissions.
- To assign a role to someone, you click on the ‘People’ tab on your group’s main page to see your members. Click on the settings wheel icon on a member’s photo or initials and select to change role. You can then assign a role to that person.
- Share your stories
Sharing stories about your groups’ projects or activities is a great way of engaging with people on Landcarer. You can do this by clicking on ‘Stories’ on the menu on the left side of your group’s main page. Complete the information required and follow the prompts, and your published story will appear on the news feeds of anyone who is a member of your group or following your group updates. If you’d like some story writing tips, you can check out our Landcarer blog post on writing stories here.
- Set up an event
Creating and sharing an event that your group is running is easy. On your group’s home page, click on ‘Events’ in the lefthand menu, and the ‘Create New Event’ green button in the middle of the page.
Complete all the information required, including a feature photo to illustrate your event listing. You can invite people to your event by selecting people you’re connected to, entering email addresses or copying the URL of your event listing and sending it to people.
People can RSVP to the event listing, allowing you to monitor who’s attending. You can post updates and changes to your event information on the event listing, allowing people who have RSVP’d to keep up to date with any changes.
- Manage your membership payments
It’s easy to set up multiple membership listings in your group so your members can renew their payments online. In your group’s main page, click on membership in the left hand menu to get started. For a step-by-step guide on how to set up a membership listing, and how people can renew their membership through Landcarer, you can check out this video on our support site. You can also download this detailed PDF guide.
- Stay active and make connections
Keep your group vibrant and active by regularly posting updates, photos, videos, events or stories. Sharing what you’re up to will help you make connections with groups and people outside your local area, and may help others to gain knowledge from what your group is doing.
If you’d prefer to use the Landcarer mobile app to set up your group, you can download it from the App store or Google Play Store to get started.
Be sure to let us know if you have any ideas how we could make managing your group on Landcarer even better by getting in touch by emailing email@example.com or filling out our feedback form. We’d love to hear from you!
If you’d like to download a PDF of this post with screenshots, please click here.